1. Journal: writing your feelings down daily will help you to stay connected to your values and if this is in line with the choices that you are making. You will be able to identify a pattern of feelings and respond to negative associations quicker. Taking 5 minutes each day will help you stay true to your authentic self and live from a place of your own personal values.
2. Stay Curious: being open within yourself and others is key to staying true to your values. Being a mom requires constant growth and evolution, our children move through different phases and staying curious about how their development impacts our choices is important to stay true to your own values. What we value for ourselves and our family when our children are infants will change when they are toddlers and then again when they hit school age. Try not to get stuck in one phase and allow yourself to grow as they do. Check in to find out if a value no longer fits and adapt to this new phase of motherhood.
3. Create time for yourself – slow down: so many of us moms are in autopilot racing from one task to the next without taking any time to understand if we are living from a place truth. Have the luxury of slowing down and reflecting on what is important to us seems like an impossibility but by creating even a few moments each day we can centre and make choices from a place within that is clear and authentic. Take 2-3 big belly breaths when moving from one activity to the next and this will create space to connect and be present with yourself.
4. Understand what makes you happy and sad: being aware of what activities bring you joy and what ones bring you down is a simple yet extremely effective way to uncover your values. Take a few minutes to write down of all the things you do in a day and put a happy or sad face beside each activity. It will become very obvious how much of your day is connecting with your inner core values.
5. Share your values: as you are in your daily life connecting with family and friends talk about what is important to you and what choices you are making in your life to reflect these values. Saying your values out loud will deepen your commitment to them. Own your values and share them with the people in life.